Curious where to find the top CBD oil for your dog in Canada?
As you probably already know, CBD does not carry any psychoactive properties derived from the cannabis plant; therefore, it will not get you (or your pet!) high.
So if you are worrying that a hemp plant could be dangerous for your pet, don’t worry, you can rest assured that you are doing a good thing for your pet, especially if they’re suffering from anxiety, seizures or chronic pain.
Let’s dive into the basics and uncover which CBD oil would be the best fit for your dog in Canada.
How Does CBD Works for Your Pet?
Let’s begin with how pets are able to interact with CBD properties and how our furry little friends get the medical benefits derived from the cannabis plant.
All mammals are equipped with their own Endocannabinoid system when it comes to regulating functions such as mood, sleep, circulation, immune system, pain management and anxiety to name a few.
The endocannabinoid system in dogs helps maintain a healthy balance and is made of receptors, enzymes and ligands. That said, cannabinoids are known to act on endocannabinoid receptors to produce their medical or recreational effects.
There are two main types of receptors found in the endocannabinoid system known as CB1 and CB2. CB1 is mainly found in the dog’s brain, muscles and central nervous system and is associated with regulating appetite, controlling pain and is related to emotions and memory.
While CB2 receptors reside in the dog’s spleen, skin and liver and are related to regulating immune responses, such as inflammation and allergies.
Now that you know how CBD works with your pet’s endocannabinoid system, here are some great benefits of using CBD for your pet.
The Benefits of Using CBD Oil for Your Dog
Research into using CBD is still ongoing, but the list of benefits is overgrowing. Here are some animal studies showing that CBD can help with:
- Seizure reduction: In 2017, Dr. Stephanie McGrat discovered that CBD oil helped dogs to reduce seizure frequency. In her research, eight out of the nine dogs who were treated with CBD had a positive outcome.
- Arthritis: In 2018, twenty-two dogs with osteoarthritis were recruited to participate in the study. Once joined, they received each of two treatments: CBD oil (2 mg/kg) or placebo oil every 12 h during the four weeks trial with a 2-week washout period. The research showed a significant decrease in pain and increase in activity with CBD oil.
- Tumors and cancer: The study showed that CBD was efficient in treating cancer conditions and killing cancer cells while also reducing toxicity and overcoming drug resistance complications.
- Anxiety: Another research has also shown that CBD worked well in soothing and calming anxiety for those with anxiety disorders.
While more research is needed to explore the potential benefits of CBD fully, it is evident that CBD oil can help to relieve symptoms for dogs who suffer from pain, seizures and arthritis.
How To Find High-Quality CBD Oil for Dogs in Canada?
Not all CBD oils for dogs are created equally in Canada. While it could be easy to find or make your own CBD oil, it might be challenging to find a CBD oil that actually improves the quality of life for your furry companion.
Here are some great questions to ask yourself when you are considering different options of CBD oil for your dog in Canada:
- Is your CBD oil organic? Consider buying an organic product so your furry little friend can access all of the beneficial properties derived from the CBD compound.
- THC to CBD ratio? Opt for products with a low THC ratio. 0.3 percent of THC should be enough to enhance CBD’s therapeutic effect.
- Extraction methods? When shopping for a high-quality CBD oil, consider buying products that are extracted from hemp by using carbon dioxide or ethanol as a solvent to separate CBD from the cannabis plant.
Once you are done with your research, choose a trusted dispensary and go with a company that has reliable customer service and top-notch CBD products.
You may also want to consult your veterinarian to ensure that you know about potential side effects and toxicities that CBD products may provide.
What is the Right Dosage for Your Dog?
The right dosage for your dog depends on a variety of factors such as:
- Your dog’s weight
- Product potency
- Your dog’s medical condition (depending on your doggie well-being you may not need to give your little friend a high dosage level)
In general, CBD oils are administered in drops and used 2-4 times daily of 2-4 drops.
Although, it is always a good idea to follow the manufacturer’s instructions if you are concerned about the ideal dosage.
The Best CBD Oil For Dogs in Canada
When it comes to our little pets, we always want to make sure that they have the best products and stay healthy for a long time.
CBD has been proven to help with conditions such as cancer, arthritis, anxiety and seizures. If your dog is suffering from one of those, consider investing in CBD oil and check the results for yourself.
As always, we hope that with this guide, you’ll be able to choose what CBD oil is best for your furry friends to stay on top of the game.